CALL US TODAY
973-927-0963

    

What are the benefits of Fiber-Cement Siding and how much does it cost?

More and more homeowners are turning to fiber-cement siding when it comes time to re-side their homes. Why? Fiber-cement siding offers a whole host of benefits that simply can’t be matched by other types of siding material. As a James Hardie® Preferred Contractor, we’ve installed HardiePanel®, HardiePlank®, and HardieShingle® siding on scores of homes in North Jersey over the last few years, so we have a thorough understanding of their advantages, applications, and costs. James Hardie is also the largest fiber-cement siding manufacturer in the world, with global sales of more than $1.5B and more than 2,500 employees worldwide.

What is Fiber-Cement Siding?

Let’s back up a minute, and first discuss what fiber-cement siding is. Made of sand, cement, and wood pulp, fiber-cement product is available in several profiles for NJ siding customers to choose from. James Hardie offers lap siding (HardiePlank), shingle siding (HardieShingle), and vertical siding (HardiePanel. The technology behind the siding has been around for over 100 years, but it received a key upgrade in the 1980s, when asbestos fibers, previously used to strengthen the product, were swapped out in favor of wood pulp cellulose, a safe, effective replacement.

Why We’re a James Hardie Preferred Contractor

Since HardiePlank and its cousins were introduced, the products have risen quickly to the top as the material of choice for many of our NJ siding customers. We were so impressed by the material that we quickly took on the task of becoming a James Hardie Preferred Contractor, which meant we met key standards for professionalism, quality, and customer satisfaction:

  • Compliance with installation best practices
  • Professional sales approach
  • Satisfactory credit report
  • State-licensed
  • Liability insurance $1,000,000 per occurrence
  • Workmen’s compensation insurance
  • Satisfactory background check with at least 6 past clients

The Benefits of Fiber-Cement Siding

So, what are the benefits of fiber-cement siding, such as HardiePlank? Let’s look at why homeowners choose a certain siding material, such as wood, vinyl, brick, stone, or stucco. Generally, homeowners look for a good-looking, affordable, low-maintenance, long-lasting material that resists the elements. In the past, you might get two or three of those benefits (depending on your choice of material), but it was difficult to find a siding material that checked off all those boxes. That is, until fiber-cement siding came along.

Fiber-cement siding resists wind, fire, and insects, making it easily superior to wood siding. It requires only a little maintenance, but, unlike vinyl, it mimics the look of wood and is available in an array of colors, styles, and configurations. James Hardie pre-painted siding includes ColorPlus® technology, which has a 15-year color guarantee, meaning you won’t need to repaint your siding for at least 15 years after installation. However, if you tire of the color, you can repaint your siding any time, giving you free reign to change your home’s look as often as you’d like!

Fiber cement is an ideal choice for NJ siding customers since, no matter how wet it gets, it won’t rot. It doesn’t require much in the way of cleaning, either, just a low-pressure water wash from a garden hose every six to twelve months.

The Cost of Fiber-Cement Siding

Fiber-cement siding costs $0.75 to $5.00 per square foot, which varies depending on the area in which you live and the style you choose. While it’s quite a tough material once installed, it can easily crack during installation thus requiring special care. Because it requires this special skill to install, you can expect total project costs to be about 35% more expensive than vinyl siding. On the other hand, fiber cement siding is about 65% cheaper than wood-shake siding.

Given its many advantages, fiber-cement siding often pays for itself in terms of the benefits, conveniences, and protections it offers to our NJ siding customers. Want to learn more about our fiber-cement siding offerings and why it pays to work with a James Hardie Preferred Contractor? Give us a call today at 973-927-0963 —we’ll be happy to talk with you and provide you with a free estimate.

Close Menu